Monday, March 28, 2005

A Strange Encounter at the Bus Stop

I was going to school by bus when I encountered two small children standing at the bus-stop. They didn’t have any one with them as their chaperon which made me even more curious because they were too young to be going out without adult supervision.
As I quietly observed them, I noticed that they were both smartly dressed and were obviously happy and excited. Many kinds of possibilities and scenarios were racing through my mind as I tried to guess what they were planning to do. Could they be waiting for their parents to pick them up? Could they be waiting for the arrival of their friends? Could they be waiting for a bus like me or could they be running away from home?
Soon the two children began to talk. I could not help but to eavesdrop on their little conversation. The first boy said that he could not wait any longer for the ‘thing’ to come. Then, the second boy calmly comforted his friend to be patient because the ‘thing’ would be coming soon. The first boy started fidgeting around excitedly overlooking my shoulder to see if the ‘thing’ had arrived. My curiosity grew even deeper about the ‘thing’.
Not long after that, the bus arrived. It was time for me to go but I could see the children had no intention at all to get on the bus. To satisfy my curiosity, I decided not to aboard the bus but to continue observing the children. To my surprise, I realized that the children were simply waiting for the next bus. Although to be exact, they were waiting for a particular passenger on the bus, a young, attractive girl about 20 years old. The children stood up ambiguously and waved vigorously at the pretty girl and she did was smiling back at them.
I was completely dumbfounded at the surprising outcome of my observation. I never thought boys around the age of 6 years old or so would be so girl-crazed. While I tried to put my jaw back in normal position, then I truly understood what it was all about through their conversation again. The children were actually waving goodbye to their kindergarten teacher who was leaving school for good. I felt touched over the children’s sensitive gesture so I decided to buy them ice-cream as a reward. Amazingly, these children refused to take my offer based once fact that I was a stranger. Then they left the bus-stop while sat there with my jaws wide open again.
by CWO