Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Drama Script : The Pearl (Chapter 4)

In the town of La Paz, it is business as usual. Kino brings the big pearl to town to trade for good money.

Kino : This is the day. I’m sure I’ll get a good price for my pearl. Then, my family and I will live a good life.
Kino sets off to the market full of pearl buyers. The buyers are chatting quietly.

Buyer A : Wait till the fool comes along. I’ll lower the price and buy the biggest pearl in the world.
Buyer B : Dream on. I’ll get the pearl. I’m the best pearl buyer here.
Buyer C : What makes you think such silly ideas? I’m the one with the kind and fatherly face. The poor man will believe me and sell it to me!
Buyer A & B : Here comes the man with the big pearl. May the best man win.

Buyers return to their shops. Kino enters shop C. He looks around carefully and then approaches the buyer and shows him the great pearl.

Kino : I have a pearl to sell. How much do you want for it?

Buyer C takes out his magnifying glass to study the pearl closely.

Kino : Well?
Buyer C : Sorry, my boy. This is the cheap stuff. It’s a ‘fool’s gold’. It’s just too big.
Kino : What? How can this be?
Buyer C : Look, for what it’s worth, I can only pay you 1,000 pesos.
Kino : 1,000 pesos?! This is ridiculous! My pearl should be at least 50,000 pesos! Are you kidding me?
Buyer C : Uh… Alright. Calm down, my friend. If you don’t trust me, I’ll get other buyers to check on your pearl.
Kino : Fine!

Pearl buyers A, B and D enters shop C. They start to examine the pearl one by one.

Buyer A : This pearl is a monstrosity. I’m making no offer for it.
Buyer B : Hmm… Better pearls are made of paste but yours is too soft and chalky. In fact, it will lose colour soon. Come, look at the strange surface for yourself.

Kino sees the pearl under the glass. He is shocked to find that it is true. Pearl buyer D takes the pearl from Kino’s hand.

Buyer D : I know someone who’s interested in this worthless thing. Sell it to me. I’ll give you 500 pesos.
Kino becomes more and more upset. He takes the pearl back and says nothing.
Pearl buyer C steps up to make his offer again.

Buyer C : Come on, my friend. How about that 1,000 pesos? Do you want to sell it to me?
Kino : You’re taking me for a fool! I’m not falling for this. You’re all liars and thieves. I’ll never sell my pearl in La Paz!
Buyer C : Wait, wait. Let’s talk about it. 1,500 pesos, what do you think?
Kino : Humph! Never!

Kino turned around and walked away madly. Pearl buyer C grips his fist and starts mumbling.

Buyer C : You’ll be sorry. You won’t live a day in peace because my men will not stop until they get your pearl. You should have sold it to me….

End of Drama