Thursday, November 30, 2006

A Drama Sketch : The Sound Machine

Klausner, the paranoid inventor, is testing his latest invention, THE SOUND MACHINE. He wants to find out if the machine actually works.

KLAUSNER : I must know if the tree can produce any sound. If the machine really works, I should get the same result as before. Hmmm… where’s my axe. Aha! Here it is. Time to go to the park.

Klausner walks to the park, checks every direction before he puts his earphone on and swings the big and heavy axe at the tree.

TREE : AAAAAIIIIiiiiiiiyoooooyoooooooo, who’s cutting me so deep? That’s killing meeee……. OOOOOOUUUUUUccccchhhhhhh………..

KLAUSNER : Oh my god! That’s it? That’s the scream of a tree? That sounds painful. Oh dear! what have I done? I’ve killed the tree!

Klausner uses his fingers to touch the gash of the wood.

KLAUSNER : Tree… oh, tree… I am sorry … I am so sorry … but it will heal … it will heal … it will heal fine …, wait! I know what I can do.. I’ll call my friend, the doctor. Just you wait here, I’ll be back with help!”

Off he dashes back home, Klausner picks up the phone and dials for Dr. Scott.

DR. SCOTT : Aheemm, hello, Dr. Scott here. How can I help you?

KLAUSNER : Dr., Quick! Tree… Sound… Hurt! Come! Soon!!

DR. SCOTT : Klausner, is that you? Calm down, calm down. Are you alright? O.K., O.K., I’ll come right away.

KLAUSNER : Dr……., please, hurry!

Dr. Scott and Klausner are at the park, under the tree.

DR. SCOTT : What’s going on?

Klausner spoke softly into Dr. Scott’s ear.

DR. SCOTT : WHAT??!! Say that again?

KLAUSNER : …………

DR. SCOTT : But, but that’s IMPOSSIBLE!

KLAUSNER : (nods gleefully)

DR. SCOTT : How can it be? I don’t believe you…..

KLAUSNER : Try it on, you’ll see what I mean.

DR. SCOTT : Fine. If it’s not working, you must end this nonsense once and for all.

KLAUSNER : O.K.

Dr. Scott puts on the headphone.

DR. SCOTT : I hear nothing.

KLAUSNER : Hold on, I’ll try this again.

Klausner picks up the axe and swings at the tree for the second time.

TREE : Aaaaiiiiiiiiiyoooyooo……OH NO, not again?!!!! …..Aaiiiiyayaaaa!!!

The tree branch breaks and falls onto the SOUND MACHINE. The men leap away but the machine shatters into pieces.

KLAUSNER : My machine is broken. Tree…Oh no… It’s hurt! Hurry, heal the poor thing!

DR. SCOTT : Huh? (scratching his head) What do you mean?

TREE : (weak and slow) Aaaaiiiiiiiiiyoooooyoooooooo!!

DR. SCOTT : I don’t understand….

KLAUSNER : No time to explain… put some iodine on the cut. It’s in pain.

DR. SCOTT : Uhhhh…. Well, alright then.

TREE : (weak and slow) Aaaaiiiiiiiiiyoooooyoooooooo!!

KLAUSNER : Nice and slow, doctor. The tree is in great pain. (Shaking head) It’s all my fault, it’s all my fault.

TREE : Ouch, ouch, ouch! Don’t be so rough with the cut! I have feelings too, you know…. Boohoo…

DR. SCOTT : O.K. It’s all done. Why don’t you come with me?

KLAUSNER : (Shaking head) It’s all my fault, all my fault……
By CBL